The Fenton History Museum was created out of the Fenton Historical Society and is located at One Church Street in the 1906 Swantner House, one of the oldest houses remaining in Fenton. The home was built by Frank M. Swantner, half owner of Swantner & Young, a sprawling commercial enterprise consisting of a mercantile store, hotel, saloon, dining room and livery stable and located across the street prior to being torn down in 1959. Being slated for demolition, the Fenton Historical Society purchased the Swantner House from the City of Fenton in 1995. With the house sitting empty and neglected for approximately 10 years, the Society had their work cut out for them. From the stone foundation in desperate need of tuck pointing, to the multiple layers of flooring and wall covering that needed to be removed, to the roof which needed replacement, the extensive restoration process began in 1996. Through the hard work and monetary support of individuals and businesses the renovations to the main floor were completed and the Society proudly opened its doors to the community in October 1997. Currently, you can visit our museum on most Wednesdays or Saturdays from 11am till 2pm or by appointment. Or call 636-326-0808 for a private tour.
The museum is located next to the Navajo Hotel, home of the Sisters Tea Room and Gift Shop.